Science of The Total Environment, Volume 856, Part 1, 2023, 158927, ISSN 0048-9697
- A mine spill caused 18.6 Mm3 of material to be delivered to a large and deep lake.
- Copper concentrations of sediment in the river below the lake are elevated each winter.
- Annual peak copper concentrations are above national sediment quality guidelines.
- The pulses are due to resuspension of unconsolidated tailings by lake processes.
- Lakes may buffer aquatic systems from spills but could prolong environmental effects
Leave a Reply